On 6th September 1986, with a grand opening, the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum in Sochaczew launched its activity. The museum unit was created as a section of the Warsaw Railway Museum, drawing on the rolling stock, buildings, infrastructure and for the most part crew of the Sochaczew Commuter Railway, which ceased its operations on 30th November 1984.
On 1st April 2016, the unit has become an official branch of the Museum Station in Warsaw, a new cultural institution, formed by the Office of the Marshal of Mazowieckie Voivodeship and the Polish State Railways (PKP S.A.), after the closing of the Warsaw Railway Museum.
The Narrow Gauge Railway Museum in Sochaczew is one of the few locations in Europe, where one can find narrow-gauge rolling stock in larger numbers. Our collection is the richest on the Old Continent.
Currently, there are 163 units of narrow-gauge rolling stock in the open-air museum, and further 50 awaiting renovation in our facilities. In the exhibition areas, the guests can see museum collections documenting the everyday operations of narrow-gauge railways through their history in Poland.
In the summer season – April through October – we organise trips on the heritage railroad to the Kampinos National Park. We currently use the heritage train RETRO, powered by a diesel locomotive Lxd2-342. From 2016/2017 our facility will once again use a steam engine, represented by a locomotive from interwar Poland, the Px29-1704, currently under repair.